Latham, J. R. & Vinyard, J. (2011). Organization Diagnosis, Design, and Transformation: Baldrige User’s Guide (5th ed. pp. 652). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley and Sons. ISBN: 978-1-118-10148-3
Updated for 2011-2012 MBNQA Criteria | Released 2011 (out of print) | Click Here for India Version
Organization Diagnosis, Design, and Transformation is the ultimate guide on management system design for the organization architect. This is not an academic book, nor is it one that you would sit down and read cover to cover. Instead, it is a resource book of tools, techniques, examples, and so forth on the systems and measures addressed by the Criteria for Performance Excellence.
- Who will benefit? This guide is a resource book for leaders, organization architects, change agents, and award examiners. Whether diagnosing the existing organization, redesigning the management systems and processes, or leading the transformation, this practical guide has the tools and advice you need to build a high-performing organization.
- Designers of Leadership and Management Systems – Use the design studio framework and the resources, including over 115 examples, 40 system blueprints, and over 250 linkages, to design custom leadership and management systems to fit your unique organization.
- Change Agents – Internal and External: Understand the organization’s systems and guide the design and redesign of new systems. Write an award application that is internally consistent and aligned.
- Award Examiners – Award Examiners and internal assessors understand world-class excellence through real-world examples and evaluate integration and alignment using 40 system blueprints and over 250 system integration explanations.
The Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award (MBNQA) provides us with the most rigorous and holistic criteria for performance excellence. We have used the Baldrige Users Guide in concert with MBNQA because it provides excellent examples of how organizations translate the criteria and practical tools to identify performance gaps that help guide our journey of continuous improvement.
John C. Timmerman, Ph.D.Corporate Vice President, Operations | The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company, L.L.C., 1992 & 1999 Baldrige Recipient
For us at SSM Health Care, Baldrige has provided three essential things: a focus, a framework, and discipline. We now focus on the things that matter most to our patients. We look at our organization through the broad framework of Baldrige. And we have the discipline to stop doing things just because we’ve always done them. This book will be an enormous help to organizations that are truly interested in improving the work they do. It is an outstanding resource for any organization that is pursuing performance excellence.
Sister Mary Jean Ryan, FSMPresident/CEO | SSM Health Care
I wholeheartedly endorse “The Baldrige User’s Guide,” written extremely well by John Latham and John Vinyard. They have taken a systems approach and have provided a visual version of the Baldrige Criteria and made it simple enough for even beginners to understand. We have used this book as a guide in driving Business Excellence in our organization. The numerous examples provided by the authors illustrate a number of Best Practices from Award Winning organizations and clearly demonstrate how these Winners have done it. I recommend this book to every manager who is committed to organizational excellence. A must on every desktop.
G. JagannathanExecutive Vice President | Global Head of Business Excellence, and Leadership and Governance Process Design | Tata Consultancy Services Limited.
The Baldrige Users Guide is a great resource for any organization that is using the Baldrige Criteria as their business model. We used it at Poudre Valley Health System during our journey and are proud that examples of several of our approaches are used in this edition.
Priscilla Nuwash, MBADirector, Process Improvement | Poudre Valley Health System, 2008 Baldrige Recipient
The Baldrige User’s Guide has enabled us to adopt a critical systems approach. This disciplined framework helped us better understand the criteria linkages, identify gaps, and prioritize opportunities for improvement fostering our organizational excellence journey.
Eric FranksManager Technology & Quality Assurance | PRO-TEC Coating Company, 2007 Baldrige Recipient
Infosys has used the Baldrige Criteria as a business model/improvement approach for over 10 years. The Baldrige Users guide is helpful to understand this model, whether you are just starting out or are a seasoned user. This book provides explanations, methods, and real-life examples to help you make improvements that will move your organization toward world-class performance levels.
Satyendra KumarSatyendra Kumar, Senior Vice President | Infosys Technologies Ltd.
This book gives leaders a systematic tool to design their approach to performance excellence. It gives a visual step-by-step understanding of the relationships within one of the most successful business models of our time.
David BranchChairman/President | Branch-Smith Printing, 2002 Baldrige Winner
The Baldrige Users Guide provides helpful information for diagnosing and improving organizations regardless of your level of experience with the criteria. Whether you are just starting out or are a seasoned leader or practitioner, this book provides explanations, methods, and real-life examples to help you make improvements that will move your organization toward world-class performance levels.
Debbie CollardDirector | Program Management and Business Excellence Boeing IDS
Organizational Diagnosis, Design, and Transformation” applies a process approach toward understanding the application of Baldrige criteria on any type and size organization in a non-threatening manner. The use of examples and worksheets throughout makes this a practical tool and brings the criteria to life. Mr. Vinyard and Dr. Latham are leaders who have written a hands-on text for leaders.
Steven HoisingtonVice President, Quality, and Reliability | Electro-Motive Diesels, Inc.
Their Diagnosis-Design-Transformation structure transcends the traditional application of Baldrige’s Performance Excellence Criteria using Categories and Items. It is written for ease of use by business leaders and experienced quality and operational practitioners. It is clear that organizations, both those examining Baldrige Criteria use for the first time as well as organizations seasoned in criteria application, can quickly find business value by looking through the unique lens offered in this book.
Jim ZurnSenior Manager, Corporate Operational Excellence | Intel Corporation
Quality New Mexico endorses the Baldrige User’s Guide. Through their book, John Vinyard and John Latham have made the Baldrige criteria understandable to the novice. Quality New Mexico has used it as a reference in its development of workshops and materials.
Julia GabaldonPresident/CEO | Quality New Mexico
This book provides anyone who uses the Baldrige Criteria with a better understanding of the linkages among elements and how to leverage their improvement initiatives.
Joe MuzikowskiVice President Business Processes | Solvay America | Former Chair, Baldrige Panel of Judges 2001-2002
This Baldrige User’s Guide gives a visual and plain English version of the Baldrige Criteria for Excellence. It is enormously helpful in understanding what the Baldrige Examiners are looking for and in giving examples of how other organizations have answered these requirements.
Nancy PrattSenior Vice President of Clinical Excellence | Sharp Healthcare
I would have very much appreciated this book during our Baldrige journey. I encourage you to use it to accelerate your journey. You will find it incredibly rewarding!
David SpongPresident (retired) | Boeing Aerospace Support – The only leader to win Baldrige in two different sectors (Manufacturing 1998 and Service 2003)
The book is organized into five parts:
- Part 1 Design Concepts;
- Part 2 Organization Context;
- Part 3 Organization Systems;
- Part 4 Organization Scorecard; and
- Part 5 The Path to Performance Excellence.
Parts 2, 3, and 4 include an individual section for each of the 40 areas to address in the 2011-2012 Baldrige Criteria for Performance Excellence (CPE). Each of these 40 sections follow a similar pattern of:
- Foundation – Each of the 40 sections in Parts 2, 3, and 4 begins with an introduction to the basics of the particular area to address.
- Examples – The book includes over 115 award-winning examples from a variety of 28 high-performing organizations, including business, healthcare, education, and international business.
- Criteria Questions – The actual Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award Criteria for Performance Excellence (CPE) questions are presented verbatim, including notes.
- Worksheets – The “fill-in-the-blank” worksheets help system designers, award application writers, and assessors collect and organize information about the organization’s key factors, processes, and results.
- Assessment – These diagnostic questions help the organization quickly “take the temperature” of the organization by providing a rough estimate score.
- Blueprint – The blueprints provide a “visual version” of the particular CPE area to address and linkages to other areas to address.
- System Integration – The sections explain over 250 linkages between the areas to address to help the management system designers develop an aligned and integrated organization system; award application writers make the linkages in the application explicit; and award examiners guidance on key linkages in the criteria when assessing alignment and integration.
- Thoughts for Leaders – Each area to address section ends with a few thoughts for leaders.
With the book, you also get a CD-ROM. This CD contains a PDF of the Book, Editable Worksheets, and a Survey to Assess the current maturity of the organization’s systems.
- The Book – a PDF version of the entire book is included on the CD so users can take the book with them on their mobile devices.
- Worksheets – A “fill in the blank” editable MSWord.doc file is included to facilitate data collection and documentation for internal assessment, design, and award applications.
- Survey – A PDF of all the diagnosis questions in the book is included.
Each of these features helps clarify and enhance the organization’s diagnosis, design, and transformation experience.
CD-ROM ISBN: 978KPART22219
- Baldrige User’s Guide: Organization Diagnosis, Design, and Transformation | 4th ed. | Hoboken, NJ | John Wiley and Sons, Inc. | 2010 | Latham, J. R. & Vinyard, J.
- Baldrige User’s Guide: Organization Diagnosis, Design, and Transformation | 3rd ed. | Hoboken, NJ | John Wiley and Sons, Inc. | 2008 | Latham, J. R. & Vinyard, J.
- Baldrige User’s Guide: Organization Diagnosis, Design, and Transformation | 2nd ed. | Hoboken, NJ | John Wiley and Sons, Inc. | 2006 | Latham, J. R. & Vinyard, J.
- Baldrige User’s Guide: Organization Diagnosis, Design, and Transformation | Hoboken, NJ | John Wiley and Sons, Inc. | 2005 | Latham, J. R. & Vinyard, J.