If you are taking one of my graduate courses in leading change or just interested in exploring the leadership content on this site this is the resource page for you. A key aspect of designing and redesigning organization systems, processes, and practices is the art and science of leading organization transformation. This is an important focus area of my recent research on leading transformation from the top.
A Framework for Leading the Transformation to Performance Excellence Part I: CEO Perspectives on Forces, Facilitators, and Strategic Leadership Systems | Quality Management Journal | Paper | Download
A Framework for Leading the Transformation to Performance Excellence Part II: CEO Perspectives on Leadership Behaviors, Individual Leader Characteristics, and Organizational Culture | Quality Management Journal | Paper | Download
CEO Attitudes and Motivations: Are They Different for High Performing Organizations? | Quality Management Journal | Paper | Download
Leadership + Design = Sustainable Excellence | Seminar Series | Visiting Professor | Università di Trieste | Italy
Framework for Leading the Transformation to Sustainable Excellence: Defying the Odds! | With Debbie Collard | The Boeing Company | CPEx Achievements in Excellence Event | Boulder, CO | August 11, 2011 | Download
Framework for Leading Sustainable Transformation | Vistage CEO Forum | Ft Collins, CO | January 20, 2011 | Note: This presentation was given numerous times to a variety of groups in 2010 and 2011 | Download
Baldrige CEO Attitudes and Motivations: Developing a Model of Excellence | Research Report | Baldrige Award Recipients (BAR) Consortium | Cambridge, MA | September 30, 2009 | Download
Building a Solid Foundation: Four Not So “Easy” Pieces | Presentation | The Quest for Excellence XXII – Annual Conference | NIST Getting Acquainted Workshop | Washington D. C. | April 11, 2010 | Download
Performance Excellence in Higher Education: A Business School’s Journey | Invited Lecture | University of South Carolina Upstate | William S. Moore Memorial Lecturer in Business | Download Slides
- The Role Model Leader | Watch Video
- The Collaborative Leader | Watch Video
- Systems Thinking | Watch Video
- Creating Positive Tension | Watch Video
- Leadership as a Contact Sport | Watch Video
- Personal Reflection and Learning | Watch Video
I also write articles about leadership and leading transformation. | Leading Transformation Articles
Quick Links to selected articles:
- Without People, Organizational Systems Don’t Exist
- Understanding the Organization System
- Profound Knowledge
- Leading Change Formula Revisited
- Spiritual Leadership for Excellence
- One Size Fits All: Servant Leadership for All Generations
- Leadership that Inspires Trust and Teamwork
- Only the Brave Need Apply!
- Transformational CEOs are Reflective and Learn from Experience
- Just Give Me the Bottom-Line
- Business Logic of Sustainability
- Transformational CEOs Hold People Accountable
- Transformational CEOs Create an Environment for Excellence
- Sustainability: Inspired Ideas for the Future
- Systems Thinking: Finding the Right Levers
- A Look Below the Surface
- Super Failure: Why Should We Care?
- Transformational CEOs are Collaborative
- Oil End Game?
- Transformational CEOs Focus on System Design
- What Is Performance Excellence?
- Transformational CEOs Are Never Satisfied
- Seeking Salvation: John Doerr
- Leading Transformation Requires a Different Attitude
- What Do the Occupy Wall Street Protestors Want?
- Steve Jobs Leadership Style
- New Thinking on Climate Change
- Learning from Success AND Failure
- Raising the Bar!
- Michelli is a Beloved Brand
- Secret of Business
Free Leadership Framework eBook
The design or redesign of organizational systems requires leaders to become “architects” of their organizations. This 84-page eBook (PDF) is based on a combination of experience working with senior leaders to design and redesign organizations and research on CEOs who led successful organization transformations that created sustainable results for multiple stakeholders. The book describes the key elements of the award-winning Leadership Framework and provides an introduction to the “BIG” picture.