Whether you are taking one of one of my graduate courses in research methods or just interested in exploring the research methods content on this site, this is the resource page for you. This resource page provides a convenient “one-stop shop” of many of the research methods resources found on this website.
The Research Canvas Book – FREE eBook
This book is about the “art” and “science” of research design. It is a “how to” guide for getting the “DNA” of your research study designed and aligned prior to writing more detailed descriptions of the methodology. This book has emerged from my experience over the past several years doing my own research and helping other researchers learn the “craft” of research. The content is organized around a nine-cell framework that I have found useful for helping researchers (including myself), design an aligned and coherent research study. This ebook will help you design and develop your research plan. | Read more
Research Methods Framework
The research methods framework is organized into a nine inter-related components. The first four components are the foundation (problem, purpose, research questions, and conceptual framework). The remaining components comprise the current state of our knowledge on the topic (literature review) and the methodology (overall approach, data collection, data analysis, and drawing conclusions). I recommend you begin your exploration by visiting the research methods framework. | Read more
Getting the foundation or “T” right (quick links)
Developing the methodology or “U” (quick links)
I regularly write articles on a variety of research methods issues and topics. | Research Methods Articles
Quick Links to selected research methods articles:
- Management Fever
- Developing Theory with Empathy Maps
- The Research Canvas 1.0
- How Many Participants is Enough? (Qualitative Sample Size)
- Sample Size: Why is Statistical Power So Important?
- Design Research like Leonardo da Vinci
- Choosing a Qualitative Sample
- Why Twitter?
- 21st Century Scholar-Practitioner
- What is Good Research?
- How to Read Academic Research
- Do You Need a Pilot Study?
- Cargo Cult Science
- What is Peer Reviewed?
- Identifying a Research Topic
- Developing a Research Prospectus
- Building Bridges between Theory and Practice
- Bias and Validity Threats to Qualitative Research (The Nemov Story)
- Insights on the Future of Quality Management Research
- Building Bridges between Researchers and Practitioners