John Latham and John Vinyard
5th edition | Updated for 2011-2012 MBNQA Criteria | Released 2011 (out of print)
Latham, J. R. & Vinyard, J. (2011). Organization Diagnosis, Design, and Transformation: A Baldrige User’s Guide (5th ed. pp. 652). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley and Sons. ISBN: 978-1-118-10148-3
The ultimate guide on management system design for the organization architect – The Baldrige User’s Guide: Organization Diagnosis, Design, and Transformation 5th edition is now available from John Wiley & Sons. This fifth edition is updated and expanded to include the 2011-2012 Baldrige Criteria as well as many new examples. | Read the reviews
- Who will benefit? This guide is a resource book for leaders, organization architects, change agents, and award examiners. Whether you are diagnosing the existing organization, redesigning the management systems and processes or leading the transformation, this practical guide has the tools and advice that you need to build a high performing organization.
- Designers of Leadership and Management Systems – Use the design studio framework and the resources including the over 115 examples, 40 system blueprints, and over 250 linkages to design custom leadership and management systems to fit your unique organization.
- Change Agents – Internal and External: Understand the organization’s systems and guide the design and redesign of new systems. Write an award application that internally consistent and aligned.
- Award Examiners – Award Examiners and internal assessors understand world-class excellence through real-world examples and evaluate integration and alignment using 40 system blueprints and over 250 system integration explanations.
The book is organized into five parts:
- Part 1 Design Concepts;
- Part 2 Organization Context;
- Part 3 Organization Systems;
- Part 4 Organization Scorecard; and
- Part 5 The Path to Performance Excellence.
Parts 2, 3 and 4 include an individual section for each of the 40 areas to address in the 2011-2012 Baldrige Criteria for Performance Excellence (CPE). Each of these 40 sections follow a similar pattern of:
- Foundation – Each of the 40 sections in Parts 2, 3 and 4 begins with an introduction to the basics of the particular area to address.
- Examples – The book includes over 115 award-winning examples from a variety of 28 high performing organizations including business, healthcare, education, and international business.
- Criteria Questions – The actual Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award Criteria for Performance Excellence (CPE) questions are presented verbatim including notes.
- Worksheets – The “fill-in-the-blank” worksheets help system designers, award application writers, and assessors collect and organize information about the organization’s key factors, processes, and results.
- Assessment – These diagnostic questions help the organization quickly “take the temperature” of the organization by providing a rough estimate score.
- Blueprint – The blueprints provide a “visual version” of the particular CPE area to address and linkages to other areas to address.
- System Integration – The sections explain over 250 linkages between the areas to address to help the management system designers develop an aligned and integrated organization system; award application writers make the linkages in the application explicit; and award examiners guidance on key linkages in the criteria when assessing alignment and integration.
- Thoughts for Leaders – Each area to address section ends with a few thoughts for leaders.
With the book, you also get a CD-ROM. This CD contains a PDF of the Book, Editable Worksheets and a Survey to Assess the current maturity of the organization’s systems.
- The Book – a PDF version of the entire book is included on the CD so users can take the book with them on their mobile devices.
- Worksheets – A “fill in the blank” editable MSWord.doc file is included to facilitate data collection and documentation for internal assessment, design, and award applications.
- Survey – A PDF of all the diagnosis questions in the book is included.
Each of these features helps clarify and enhance the organization’s diagnosis, design, and transformation experience.
CD-ROM ISBN: 978KPART22219