This session focuses on the nine leader behaviors for leading the transformation to sustainable excellence. The relationships among the nine behaviors, as well as, the relationships to the nine leadership activities (system) are explored in detail and applied to the process of transforming an organization for high performance. Behaviors include: role model, respect, collaborative, communication, persistence, accountable, systems thinking, personal involvement, and personal learning. Participants learn to apply the concepts by evaluating a “real world” leader and the implications for their organization. | Download Slides
Topics and Objectives
- Understand how the nine behaviors that comprise the leadership style influence organizational transformation.
- Understand how the leadership style (nine behaviors) influence and support the leadership system (nine approaches).
- Evaluate a “real world” leader’s behaviors and approaches and compare and contrast with the nine behaviors and approaches for leading transformation (case study exercise – Evaluating Steve Jobs the Leader: Is Apple’s Excellence Sustainable?).
- Understand the theoretical foundations of the nine leadership behaviors including how they compare to transformational and transactional, servant, and spiritual leadership theories and concepts.
- Participants reflect on and assess their own behaviors and leadership style. The results of this assessment are used in the last session in the series.
1. Read – Katzenbach, J. (2012). The Steve Jobs way: Leaders can learn a lot from the late Apple CEO, but not all of it should be emulated. strategy+business magazine. (April, 23rd). | Read Article
2. Read – Schlender, B. (2012) The Lost Steve Jobs Tapes, Fast Company. | Read Article
3. Watch – Steve Jobs Videos: three videos that summarize key aspects of Steve Jobs. | Watch Now
Latham, J. R. Six short (2-3 min) videos on several of the leadership behaviors covered in this session. | Watch Videos
Latham, John R. (2013). A Framework for leading the transformation to performance excellence part II: CEO perspectives on leadership behaviors, individual leader characteristics, and organizational culture. Quality Management Journal, 20(3), 22. | Download
Mullins, Laurie J. (2010). Management and Organisational Behavior (9th ed.). Harlow, England: Pearson Education Limited. Chapter 10 The Nature of Leadership